The HYDRIA study aims to evaluate the health status, the dietary choices and the lifestyle habits of the population in Greece in order to contribute to the planning, implementation and monitoring of public health policies.
Specifically, the objectives of the HYDRIA study are the following:
- The collection of high-quality data, from a representative sample of the Greek population, on health, diet and lifestyle habits, comparable at a international level.
- The extraction of information on important health indicators of the population, which will update and enrich the Health Charter of the Ministry of Health.
- The use of information on the health, diet and lifestyle habits of the population for the development and evaluation of appropriate policies to protect and promote public health.
- The establishment of an integrated network, based on Health Centers, for the long-term collection of health, diet and lifestyle data.
At the same time, the study also addresses the following objectives :
1. The assessment of the health status of the population by recording health indicators by age group, gender and socioeconomic status and the estimation of the prevalence of chronic diseases or conditions (e.g., hypertension, obesity).
2. The prediction of the future health status of the population, based on data related to risk factors.
3. The detection of variation and documentation of possible inequalities in the health status of different demographic groups.
4. The evaluation of health promotion programs and of strategies aiming to control risk factors.
5. The assessment of current and future healthcare needs.
6. The development of a strategic plan for the undertaking of epidemiological studies and health promotion actions.
7. The development of proposals for the upgrading of healthcare services, the monitoring and improvement of the health status of the population, the reduction of healthcare costs and the minimization of inequalities in the health status of the population.